Stripes are a timeless and versatile pattern that can add some interest and style to your outfits. Whether you prefer classic black and white stripes or colorful and playful ones, there are many ways to wear stripes and make them work for your body type and personal taste. However, there are also some pitfalls to avoid when wearing stripes, as they can also create optical illusions that may not be flattering or appropriate for certain occasions. Here are some dos and don’ts of wearing stripes that will help you master this trend and look fabulous.
- Do wear stripes according to your body shape. Stripes can create different effects on your figure depending on their direction, width, and color. For example, vertical stripes can elongate your silhouette and make you look taller and slimmer, while horizontal stripes can widen your frame and make you look shorter and fuller. Thin stripes can be more subtle and flattering than thick stripes, which can be more bold and overwhelming. Light-colored stripes can draw attention to certain areas, while dark-colored stripes can camouflage them. Therefore, you should choose stripes that suit your body shape and accentuate your best features. For example, if you are short, you can wear thin vertical stripes to give an illusion of an elongated figure. If you have a pear-shaped body, you can use horizontal striped tops to give an impression of wider shoulders. Avoid striped bottoms as they will draw attention to your wider curves.
- Do mix stripes with other patterns. Stripes are a neutral pattern that can go well with other prints, such as florals, plaids, polka dots, or animal prints. Mixing stripes with other patterns can create a fun and dynamic look that shows off your personality and style. However, you should also follow some basic rules when mixing patterns to avoid looking too busy or chaotic. For example, you should balance the size and scale of the patterns, such as pairing a large floral print with a small stripe print. You should also coordinate the colors of the patterns, such as using a common color scheme or contrasting colors that complement each other.
- Do play with different types of stripes. Stripes are not just limited to straight lines. You can also experiment with different types of stripes, such as diagonal, curved, zigzag, or chevron stripes. These types of stripes can add some movement and interest to your outfits and create different effects on your figure. For example, diagonal stripes can create a slimming effect and draw the eye across your body, while curved stripes can create a flattering shape and follow your natural curves.
- Don’t wear too many stripes at once. While mixing stripes with other patterns can be fun and stylish, wearing too many stripes at once can be overwhelming and unflattering. Too many stripes can create a cluttered and confusing look that distracts from your face and figure. Therefore, you should limit yourself to one or two striped pieces per outfit and keep the rest of your look simple and solid. For example, if you are wearing a striped dress, you can pair it with a solid jacket or cardigan and shoes. If you are wearing a striped top and bottom, you can break up the pattern with a solid belt or scarf.
- Don’t wear stripes that are inappropriate for the occasion. Stripes are a versatile pattern that can be worn for casual, formal, or professional occasions. However, you should also consider the appropriateness of the stripes for the occasion and the message you want to convey. For example, if you are going for a job interview or a business meeting, you may want to avoid wearing too many or too bright stripes that may look too casual or playful. Instead, you can opt for subtle or classic stripes that look more polished and professional. Similarly, if you are going for a date night or a party, you may want to avoid wearing too many or too dark stripes that may look too serious or boring. Instead, you can opt for colorful or fun stripes that look more lively and attractive.
- Don’t wear stripes that clash with your skin tone or hair color. Stripes are a pattern that can also affect how your skin tone or hair color looks. Depending on the color of the stripes, they can either enhance or wash out your complexion or hair color. Therefore, you should choose stripes that flatter your skin tone or hair color and make you look more radiant and healthy. For example, if you have warm skin tone or hair color, such as yellow undertones or golden blonde hair, you can wear stripes that have warm colors, such as red, orange, or yellow. If you have cool skin tone or hair color, such as pink undertones or ash brown hair, you can wear stripes that have cool colors, such as blue, green, or purple.
Stripes are a pattern that can never go out of style and can be worn by anyone. By following these dos and don’ts of wearing stripes, you can create outfits that look flattering, stylish, and appropriate for any occasion. Stripes are a pattern that can express your personality and mood and make you look fabulous.