Metallics are a fun and festive way to add some sparkle and shine to your outfit. Whether you’re into gold, silver, bronze, or any other metallic hue, you can rock this trend for any occasion. However, wearing metallics can also be tricky, as you don’t want to look too flashy, tacky, or over-the-top. How do you wear metallics without looking like a disco ball? In this article, we will show you the dos and don’ts of wearing metallics and give you some tips and tricks on how to style them.
The Dos of Wearing Metallics
Here are some dos of wearing metallics that will help you pull off this trend with confidence and style:
- Do treat metallics as neutrals. One of the best things about metallics is that they are versatile and can go with almost any color. You can treat metallics as neutrals and pair them with other neutrals such as black, white, gray, or beige. You can also pair them with bright colors such as red, pink, blue, or green for a pop of contrast.
- Do mix different metallics. Another way to wear metallics is to mix different metallic hues together for a chic and modern look. You can mix gold with silver, bronze with copper, or rose gold with platinum. The key is to balance the proportions and choose pieces that have similar tones and finishes.
- Do add some texture. Adding some texture to your metallic outfit can make it more interesting and dynamic. You can choose pieces that have some embroidery, sequins, beads, or fringe. You can also layer different fabrics such as lace, leather, denim, or knitwear.
- Do accessorize with metallics. If you’re not ready to wear a full-on metallic outfit, you can start by accessorizing with metallics. You can wear a metallic bag, shoes, jewelry, belt, or scarf to add some shine to your look. Metallic accessories can also elevate a simple outfit and make it more festive.
The Don’ts of Wearing Metallics
Here are some don’ts of wearing metallics that will help you avoid some common mistakes and pitfalls:
- Don’t wear too many metallic pieces at once. Wearing too many metallic pieces at once can make you look too flashy or overwhelming. A good rule of thumb is to limit yourself to one or two metallic pieces per outfit. For example, if you’re wearing a metallic dress, keep your accessories simple and minimal. If you’re wearing a metallic top or bottom, pair it with a solid color or a subtle print.
- Don’t wear metallics that don’t suit your skin tone. Wearing metallics that don’t suit your skin tone can make you look washed out or dull. To find the right metallic hue for you, consider your undertone and complexion. If you have a warm undertone and a light to medium complexion, go for gold, bronze, or copper. If you have a cool undertone and a medium to dark complexion, go for silver, platinum, or rose gold.
- Don’t wear metallics that are too tight or too loose. Wearing metallics that are too tight or too loose can make you look unflattering or sloppy. Metallic fabrics tend to reflect light and draw attention to your body shape, so you want to choose pieces that fit you well and flatter your figure. Avoid anything that is too clingy, too baggy, too short, or too long.
- Don’t wear metallics that are inappropriate for the occasion. Wearing metallics that are inappropriate for the occasion can make you look out of place or disrespectful. Metallics are generally more suitable for evening events or festive occasions than for daytime events or formal occasions. For example, avoid wearing a metallic dress to a wedding or a funeral. Instead, opt for a metallic blouse or skirt for a cocktail party or a holiday party.
Wearing metallics can be fun and fashionable if you follow some simple dos and don’ts. You can treat metallics as neutrals and pair them with other colors. You can mix different metallic hues together and add some texture to your outfit. You can accessorize with metallics and elevate your look. You can also avoid wearing too many metallic pieces at once and choose pieces that suit your skin tone and fit your body shape. You can also avoid wearing metallics that are inappropriate for the occasion and choose pieces that match the mood and the dress code. Remember to have fun and shine on!