If you have an hourglass-shaped body, you are blessed with a balanced and proportionate figure that many women envy. You have a well-defined waist, a full bust and hips, and a curvy silhouette. However, dressing your body type can also be challenging, as you need to find clothes that fit your curves and accentuate your assets without looking too tight or too loose.
How to Choose Tops for Hourglass-Shaped Women
When choosing tops for your hourglass-shaped body, you need to consider the following factors:
- Neckline: The neckline of your top should create a curve or an angle that draws attention to your face and neck, and balances your bust. V-necks, scoop necks, sweetheart necks, and wrap styles are ideal for you. Avoid high necks, boat necks, or square necks that can make your chest look wider or flatter.
- Fit: The fit of your top should follow the shape of your body and define your waist. Look for tops that are fitted or semi-fitted, have darts or seams at the bust and waist, or have a peplum or ruched detail. Avoid tops that are too tight or too loose, as they can make you look bulky or shapeless.
- Length: The length of your top should end at your hipbone or slightly below it. This will create a smooth transition from your top to your bottom and avoid cutting off your curves. Avoid tops that are too long or too short, as they can make you look disproportionate or expose your problem areas.
How to Choose Bottoms for Hourglass-Shaped Women
- Waist: The waist of your bottom should sit at your natural waistline or slightly below it. This will emphasize your narrowest part and create an hourglass effect. Look for bottoms that have a medium to high rise, a flat front, or a side or back zipper. Avoid bottoms that have a low rise, a bulky waistband, or pleats or pockets at the front.
- Cut: The cut of your bottom should follow the shape of your legs and balance your hips. Look for bottoms that are straight, slim, tapered, bootcut, or flared. Avoid bottoms that are too skinny or too wide, as they can make you look bottom-heavy or top-heavy.
- Fabric: The fabric of your bottom should be smooth and stretchy enough to accommodate your curves without sagging or clinging. Look for fabrics that are cotton, denim, wool, or ponte. Avoid fabrics that are too thin or too thick, as they can show lumps and bumps or add bulk.
How to Choose Dresses for Hourglass-Shaped Women
- Shape: The shape of your dress should follow the shape of your body and define your waist. Look for dresses that are fitted or semi-fitted, have a wrap style, a belt, or a nipped-in waist. Avoid dresses that are too tight or too loose, have an empire waist, or a drop waist.
- Length: The length of your dress should end at your knee or slightly above it. This will show off your legs and elongate your figure. Avoid dresses that are too long or too short, as they can make you look frumpy or vulgar.
- Pattern: The pattern of your dress should be simple and subtle enough to not overwhelm your curves. Look for patterns that are small to medium-sized, have vertical lines, or have darker colors at the sides. Avoid patterns that are too large, have horizontal lines, or have lighter colors at the center.
Hourglass-shaped women have a beautiful and feminine body type that can wear many styles and colors. However, they need to pay attention to the fit, cut, and details of their clothes to enhance their curves and avoid looking unflattering. By following these styling tips for hourglass-shaped women, you can create outfits that showcase your best features and make you feel confident and comfortable.