Traveling can be a wonderful experience, but it can also disrupt your regular exercise routine and healthy habits. Whether you are traveling for work or pleasure, you don’t have to sacrifice your fitness goals or compromise your well-being. Here are some tips on how to stay active and fit while traveling, no matter where you go or how long you stay.
1. Pack for fitness with the best travel exercise equipment
One of the first steps to staying fit while traveling is to pack smart. You don’t need to bring a lot of bulky or heavy equipment, but you can include some of the best travel exercise equipment that are lightweight, portable and versatile. Some examples are:
- Comfy running shoes
- Stretchy exercise leggings
- Full-support sports bra
- Collapsible water bottle
- Lightweight ab-roller
- Resistance bands
- Hand grips
- Sweat resistant earphones
- Yoga mat
These items can help you do a variety of exercises in your hotel room, at a nearby park, or even at the airport. You can also use them to stream or download workouts from apps like Beachbody on Demand.
2. Keep active along the way
Another tip to stay fit while traveling is to keep active during your journey. Whether you are traveling by car, train or plane, you can find ways to move more and avoid sitting for long periods. Some ideas are:
- Wear your walking or running shoes on travel days and stroll through the airport terminal, walk through the train cars, or take breaks to stretch if you are driving.
- Walk up the escalators instead of standing.
- Do some simple exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups or jumping jacks in your seat or at a rest stop.
- Use a jump-rope or resistance bands to get your heart rate up and work your muscles.
- If you have a long layover at an airport, check if there is a gym and pack your carry-on bag accordingly.
3. Choose your accommodation wisely
Where you stay can also affect how easy or hard it is to stay fit while traveling. If possible, choose an accommodation that has a fitness center, a swimming pool, or is close to a park or a trail. Some options are:
- Hotels with gyms: Many hotels offer fitness facilities that have cardio equipment, strength equipment, and sometimes even classes or personal trainers. Call ahead to get all the details and plan your workouts accordingly.
- Air BNBs or bed and breakfasts: These lodgings can be more cozy and homey than hotels, and sometimes they have access to fitness amenities like bikes, kayaks, tennis courts, etc. You can also use the kitchen to prepare healthy meals and snacks.
- Camping: If you love nature and adventure, camping can be a great way to stay fit while traveling. You can enjoy activities like hiking, biking, fishing, canoeing, etc. Just make sure you pack enough food and water and follow safety precautions.
4. Explore your destination on foot or by bike
One of the best ways to stay fit while traveling is to explore your destination on foot or by bike. Not only will you burn calories and work your muscles, but you will also see more sights and experience more culture than if you take a taxi or a bus. Some tips are:
- Walk as much as possible: Walking is one of the simplest and most effective exercises you can do anywhere. You can walk to your attractions, take a walking tour, or just wander around and discover new places.
- Rent a bike: Biking is another great way to explore your destination and stay fit while traveling. You can rent a bike from a local shop or use a bike-sharing service like Lime or Uber. You can also join a bike tour or follow a bike route.
- Try out local activities: Depending on where you are traveling, you might find some unique activities that are fun and fitness-friendly. For example, you can try snorkeling in Hawaii, skiing in Switzerland, salsa dancing in Cuba, etc.
5. Be mindful of what you eat and drink
The last tip to stay fit while traveling is to be mindful of what you eat and drink. Traveling can expose you to new cuisines and temptations that might derail your healthy diet. However, you don’t have to deprive yourself of enjoying the local food and drinks. You just have to be smart and balanced. Some tips are:
- Eat a healthy breakfast: Starting your day with a nutritious breakfast can give you energy and prevent you from overeating later. You can choose options like oatmeal, eggs, yogurt, fruit, etc.
- Drink plenty of water: Staying hydrated is important for your health and fitness, especially when you are traveling. Water can help you flush out toxins, regulate your appetite, and improve your performance. Aim for at least eight glasses a day and avoid sugary drinks like soda or juice.
- Snack smart: Snacking can help you curb your hunger and boost your metabolism, but you have to choose wisely. Instead of reaching for chips, candy, or pastries, opt for snacks like nuts, seeds, dried fruits, granola bars, etc.
- Indulge in moderation: You don’t have to avoid all the delicious food and drinks that your destination has to offer, but you don’t have to go overboard either. You can indulge in moderation by following the 80/20 rule: eat healthy 80% of the time and treat yourself 20% of the time.
Staying fit while traveling can be challenging, but it can also be rewarding and enjoyable. By following these tips, you can maintain your fitness routine and healthy habits without compromising your travel experience. You can also use this opportunity to try new things, have fun, and feel good about yourself. Happy travels!