Finding the right foundation for your skin can be a daunting task. With so many brands, formulas, shades, and finishes to choose from, how do you know which one will suit you best? In this blog post, we will share some tips and tricks on how to find your perfect foundation shade and formula, based on the latest research and trends in 2023.
Determine your skin tone and undertone
The first step to finding your perfect foundation is to know your skin tone and undertone. Your skin tone is the color of your skin’s surface, while your undertone is the color that shows through your skin. There are three main undertones: cool, warm, and neutral.
- Cool undertones have pink, red, or blue hues in their skin. They usually look good in silver jewelry and cool colors like blue, purple, and green.
- Warm undertones have yellow, peach, or golden hues in their skin. They usually look good in gold jewelry and warm colors like orange, yellow, and brown.
- Neutral undertones have a mix of both cool and warm hues in their skin. They usually look good in both silver and gold jewelry and any color.
To determine your undertone, you can try these methods:
- Look at the veins on your wrist. If they appear blue or purple, you have a cool undertone. If they appear green or olive, you have a warm undertone. If they appear blue-green or hard to tell, you have a neutral undertone.
- Hold a white paper next to your face in natural light. If your skin looks pink or rosy, you have a cool undertone. If your skin looks yellow or peachy, you have a warm undertone. If your skin looks neither pink nor yellow, you have a neutral undertone.
- Do the jewelry test. Try on some silver and gold jewelry and see which one makes your skin glow more. If silver looks better on you, you have a cool undertone. If gold looks better on you, you have a warm undertone. If both look equally good on you, you have a neutral undertone.
Knowing your skin tone and undertone will help you narrow down the range of foundation shades that will match your skin.
Read reviews and look for photo references
Another way to find your perfect foundation shade is to read reviews and look for photo references online. You can use websites like findation.com or MAC Cosmetics Foundation Finder to input your current shade of foundation and find its matching shade in another brand or formula. You can also browse through social media platforms like Instagram or YouTube to see how different foundations look on people with similar skin tones and undertones as yours.
However, keep in mind that online reviews and photos may not be accurate or reliable due to factors like lighting, camera quality, filters, editing, etc. Therefore, it is always advisable to test the foundation in person before buying it.
Test shades on multiple spots of your face
The best way to test if a foundation shade matches your skin is to apply it on multiple spots of your face and see how it blends with your natural skin color. You can test the foundation on these areas:
- Your jawline: This is where you can see the contrast between your face and neck color. The foundation should match both your face and neck color without creating a visible line.
- Your cheek: This is where you can see how the foundation looks under different lighting conditions. The foundation should look natural and seamless under natural light, artificial light, and flash photography.
- Your forehead: This is where you can see how the foundation works with your hairline and eyebrows. The foundation should not create any gaps or patches around these areas.
You can use a sponge, a brush, or your fingers to apply a small amount of foundation on each spot and blend it well with your skin. You can also use a mirror or take a selfie to check how the foundation looks on you.
Test it for a few hours
Another important factor to consider when choosing a foundation is how it wears throughout the day. Some foundations may oxidize (change color) or fade (lose coverage) after a few hours of wear. To avoid this problem, you should test the foundation for at least four hours before making a decision.
You can ask for a sample of the foundation from the store or online and wear it for a full day. You can also check how the foundation looks on you after different activities like sweating, eating, drinking, etc. You should look for a foundation that stays true to its color and coverage without creasing, caking, or transferring.
Take the finish of your foundation into consideration
Another aspect of finding your perfect foundation is to choose the right finish for your skin type and preference. The finish of a foundation refers to how it reflects light and how it makes your skin look. There are three main finishes: matte, dewy, and natural.
- Matte finish: This is a flat and shine-free finish that gives a smooth and flawless appearance. It is ideal for oily or combination skin types as it helps control excess oil and minimize the appearance of pores and imperfections. It is also suitable for hot and humid climates as it lasts longer and does not melt or slide off.
- Dewy finish: This is a luminous and radiant finish that gives a healthy and hydrated appearance. It is ideal for dry or mature skin types as it helps moisturize and plump up the skin and add a youthful glow. It is also suitable for cold and dry climates as it prevents the skin from looking dull or flaky.
- Natural finish: This is a balanced and realistic finish that gives a natural and skin-like appearance. It is ideal for normal or sensitive skin types as it does not emphasize any texture or redness on the skin. It is also suitable for any climate as it adapts well to different temperatures and humidity levels.
You can choose the finish of your foundation based on your skin type, preference, and occasion. You can also mix different finishes to create your own custom look.
Prep your skin properly
The last step to finding your perfect foundation is to prep your skin properly before applying it. This will help you achieve a smooth and even application and enhance the performance and longevity of your foundation. You should follow these steps to prep your skin:
- Cleanse: You should cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser that suits your skin type. This will help remove any dirt, oil, or makeup residue from your skin and create a clean canvas for your foundation.
- Exfoliate: You should exfoliate your face once or twice a week with a mild scrub or chemical peel that suits your skin type. This will help remove any dead skin cells, unclog pores, and improve the texture and tone of your skin.
- Moisturize: You should moisturize your face with a lightweight moisturizer that suits your skin type. This will help hydrate and nourish your skin and prevent it from drying out or producing excess oil.
- Prime: You should prime your face with a primer that suits your skin type and concern. This will help smooth out any fine lines, pores, or imperfections on your skin and create a barrier between your skin and foundation. It will also help your foundation glide on easier and last longer.
Finding your perfect foundation shade and formula can be easy if you follow these tips and tricks. Remember to determine your skin tone and undertone, read reviews and look for photo references, test shades on multiple spots of your face, test it for a few hours, take the finish of your foundation into consideration, and prep your skin properly before applying it. With these steps, you will be able to find a foundation that matches your skin color, type, preference, and occasion.
We hope you found this blog post helpful and informative. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave them in the comments section below. Thank you for reading!