Your hairstyle can make or break your outfit, especially when it comes to different necklines. The right hairstyle can enhance your neckline and show off your features, while the wrong hairstyle can hide your neckline and create a mismatched look. To help you choose the right hairstyles for different necklines, we have compiled some tips and examples for you.
How to Match Your Hairstyle and Neckline
As a general rule, necklines that are elaborate need hairstyles pulled away from the face. Pulled back hair allows us to appreciate the dress’ intricate and feminine design better. Necklines that are simple, such as strapless or sweetheart designs, allow variety in your hair, and so your hairstyle depends on other factors such as your mood and dress length.
Here are some of the most common necklines and some ideal hairstyles that pair perfectly with them:
- Round or square neckline: These necklines are a couple of the most common designs you will find. They accentuate your shoulders instead of bringing attention to your neckline. For unadorned round- or square-necked clothes, opt for free-flowing hairstyles like textured beach hair with wispy bangs or a tousled and pinned side updo. For embellished round- or square-necked clothes, opt for sleek hairstyles like a low bun or a high ponytail.
- V-neckline: This neckline is usually 50% cool and 50% sexy, so we recommend a hairstyle that matches that vibe. If you part your hair to the side, a side-swept look could be just what you need to add a feminine touch to a V-neck outfit. Using curls and braids, create an eye-catching look like this one. For a more elegant and sophisticated look, opt for a twisted side bun updo or a fancy knotted chignon.
- Halter neckline: This neckline has a loop top that wraps around the neck, and it is very flattering on women with long necks. Hairstyles with long hair to match the dress can vary, as long as they don’t cover up the halter. Hair accessories take any hairstyle from 0 to 60 very quickly, but they also work to keep intricate hairstyles, such as this one, in place. For a more casual and relaxed look, opt for a messy bun or a fishtail braid.
- High neckline: This neckline covers most of the neck and chest area, and it can be geometric or lacy. The best hairstyle for dresses with high necklines is an updo that keeps your hair up and out of the way. Try a slightly disheveled braided updo or an asymmetrical rolled updo to quickly upgrade your outfit. For a more vintage and classic look, opt for old Hollywood waves or a sleek bob.
- Off-the-shoulder neckline: This neckline exposes your shoulders and collarbones, creating a romantic and feminine look. The best hairstyle for this neckline is one that frames your face and highlights your shoulders. Try a half-up half-down look with curls or waves, or a loose low ponytail with face-framing layers. For a more glamorous and dramatic look, opt for a high bun or a sleek ponytail with volume.
Choosing the right hairstyles for different necklines can be easy and fun if you follow some simple tips and tricks. You just need to consider the style, shape, and embellishment of your neckline, and choose a hairstyle that complements it. You can also experiment with different colors, textures, and accessories to express your personality and mood. The most important thing is to feel comfortable and confident in your hairstyle and outfit and enjoy the occasion.